Saturday, July 9, 2022

The Future’s So Bright I Gotta Wear Shades!

As the old saying goes, the future is so bright at the Harbinger of D.O.O.M. blog that I gotta wear shades! Summer has finally arrived and I’ve finished a lot of things that I had to take care of in order to have more time to focus on the blog. Leading up to the blog’s second anniversary in September, I will have plenty of stuff in store for my readers and listeners.

First off, there will be a few changes. Traditional reviews will make way for “Musings”, a different form of review. Instead of reviewing albums, I’ll put an emphasis on articles that give my stamp of approval for a certain album/record and share my thoughts on said album. I will no longer do track by track reviews (or at least I’ll do them very rarely) and will only shine the light on albums that I truly enjoy. Over the course of the last year, submissions for review have increased tremendously and I’ve also been added to some awesome labels’ mailing lists with the privilege of listening/reviewing albums early. It would be impossible for me to review them all, nor do I want to spend my time only listening to music for the sake of reviewing. I will always continue what I set out to do in the first place with the blog, which is to help shine a spotlight on up-an-coming bands, whether they’re just a few months old or seasoned pros. I know what I like and if it’s something I dig, it’ll get featured in “Musings” so keep sending those submissions in.

The popular “Canuck Spotlight” feature focusing on Canadian artists will of course remain. I’m a proud Canadian and I always take pleasure in discovering and spreading the word about bands from the Great White North. I love audiobooks and while those are the least popular articles here on the blog, I will keep talking about them. In fact, I’ll feature even more of them going forward, ranging from comic book prose novels to sci-fi, fantasy, horror and anything that could have some appeal to the Doom/Stoner/Metal community. They’ll be rebranded as “Audiobook Showcase” and as with album reviews, it’ll be less of a review and more of a recommendation for an audiobook I loved that I want to share. I also intend to write more articles about music and bands in general, which is something that’s been lacking due to lack of time. The highly popular Bandcamp Friday roundup (Harbinger Friday when BC Friday is on leave) will absolutely continue. Band interviews, “A Conversation with”, will go forward and I’ll do my best to have a chat with bands more often.

And last but certainly not least, to celebrate the Harbinger’s second anniversary in mid-September, the project I’ve been teasing about from time to time can finally be revealed. The Harbinger of D.O.O.M. blog will become a digital record label of sorts (maybe it’ll be a one-time thing, who knows) and if successful, it might become a yearly tradition. September will see the release of a Bandcamp “Name Your Price” compilation (similar to Weedian and Doomed and Stoned’s comps) curated by yours truly featuring a dozen bands in the realms of Doom/Metal/Stoner/Heavy Psych/Prog Rock. The lineup is almost complete and I’ll announce the final rundown over the weeks to come but among the bands included are HAZEMAZE, Alunah, Doctor Smoke, Las Cruces, Indus Valley Kings, AAWKS, VAZUM, Titanosaur, Infinity Dream, Genie Cries, Mos Eisley Spaceport, and a couple more to be confirmed. How’s that for some cool news?

As you can see, I have plenty in store for my faithful followers. I’d like to take this opportunity to thank all my readers, the Twitter Metal/Stoner Rock family, all the bands and labels who have submitted/continue to submit phenomenal music and anyone who has contributed to this blog in some shape or form. If you enjoy the blog, please spread the word and tell your friends! THANK YOU!! You can expect a ton of content going forward that will hopefully enhance your listening experience of all things Doom/Metal. Have a fantastic weekend and the Harbinger will see you very soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment