Sunday, July 3, 2022

Review: Comic Book - Maurice and the Metal

This will be a first for the blog, a review of a comic book/graphic novel. It’s no secret that I used to collect comic books back in the day, from the mid- ‘80s to late ‘90s. I even owned a comic book store for a brief period of time in the mid- ‘90s. One of the first things you see upon browsing the blog is my love for Marvel’s Doctor Doom. He is in my opinion, the greatest villain in comic book history. Anyhow, I haven’t followed comic books in over twenty years but every now and then something catches my eye and I get into a title for a story arc or purchase a graphic novel. When it was brought to my attention that there was a comic book about a teenager who gets incredible strength whenever he listens to metal and that it took place in the ‘80s, it piqued my curiosity. The comic book is called Maurice and the Metal and it started out as a Kickstarter project from writer/creator Aaron Sammut. The first two issues were illustrated by Marvel/DC/Dark Horse alumni Jesse Hamm who sadly passed away last year. It’s now at issue number 3 and artist Nicola Izzo has taken over penciling duties.

Maurice and the Metal follows the titular Maurice’s adventures as a drummer for a thrash metal band that is seemingly going nowhere. Something will happen to Maurice and he’ll realize that listening to metal gives him impossible strength. He’ll be guided by a Walkman possessed by the soul of a Black Sabbath roadie who’ll serve as a kind of Mr. Miyagi on his journey. The villains are called gloomers and they’re the opposite of metalheads. I won’t say more not to spoil anything, but it’s an age-old battle akin to the one that was fought in the ‘70s between rockers and people who listened to disco music.

There’s a lot to like about this comic book series! Sammut is a terrific writer and has an ear for dialogue. His love for all things metal from the 1980s leaps off almost every page. There are tons of music references throughout the three issues showing love to the heydays of heavy/thrash metal. It’s a beautifully-illustrated black & white comic and I find the fact that it’s not in colour actually adds to the story. It creates a different vibe and gives the story a tone that suits it like a glove. Hamm’s artwork and use of shadows is gorgeous and the panel layout conveys the story effortlessly. Izzo picks up in issue number 3 and continues in a similar style as his predecessor, and while I really enjoy his art, I must say that I’m a tad more partial to Hamm’s pencils. Nevertheless, this ongoing series is so much fun that you’ll be craving the next issue as soon as you’re finished with issue 3.

Maurice and the Metal is a super fun heavy metal comic full of original ideas with metal references galore that never feel forced. I love the way Maurice has to deal with his family life which reminded me of Peter Parker’s dilemmas first with Aunt May and then his wife Mary Jane (at least, back when I used to read Amazing/Spectacular Spider-Man in the ‘80s/’90s). If you’re into comic books, indie graphic novels, doom/heavy metal music, are a musician in any genre of music or just like to read well-written/well-made stories, then I’m sure you’ll have a blast with Maurice and the Metal.

You can uncover all the details about Maurice and the Metal, its Kickstarter campaign for future issues, where to shop for its digital and print comics, and to pick up some cool merch at their official Website: https://maurice-and-the-metal.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment