Saturday, March 9, 2024

Musings: Judas Priest - Invincible Shield

The mighty Judas Priest return with their 19th album, Invincible Shield, after nearly fifty-five years as prime purveyors of metal. The current lineup features Metal God Rob Halford on lead vocals, Glenn Tipton on guitars and keyboards, Richie Faulkner on guitars, Ian Hill on bass, and Scott Travis on drums. Judas Priest fans have been spoiled as of late, what with former Priest axeman K. K. Downing’s band K. K.’s Priest releasing their excellent second LP last year, The Sinner Rides Again, featuring former Priest vocalist Tim “Ripper” Owens. Do Halford and company still have the magic metal touch? Read on to find out.

I’ve never been the biggest Judas Priest fan (I was always more of a Maiden man), but have always had tremendous respect for the band and its phenomenal lead singer. I’ve owned a handful of their albums over the years, my favourites being 1990’s Painkiller and 1976’s Sad Wings of Destiny. Priest’s last offering until now was 2018’s solid Firepower which I enjoyed quite a bit. Invincible Shield, in my humble opinion, is a much stronger album. It pays tribute to a plethora of Priest eras, from the late ‘70s through the ‘80s, and continues their evolution into a modern 21st century sound. From the get-go, the instant classic first single “Panic Attack” with its throwback synth intro, sets the table for a flurry of awesome metal tunes. “The Serpent and the King”, the fourth single, is a banger of a song and rides on the momentum of the LP’s opening track. The most recent single, the title track, is catchy as all hell and is one of the highlights of the record. “Devil in Disguise” is an earworm and one of my favourites. “Gates of Hell” slows the pace down a bit leading to the superb third single, “Crown of Horns”, a power ballad of sorts featuring a lengthy instrumental part. The second half of the album is less commercial but equally strong, starting with the catchy “As God Is My Witness” followed by the second single, “Trial by Fire”, and a couple of outstanding tracks, “Escape from Reality” and the blazing “Sons of Thunder.” “Giants in the Sky”, a splendid homage to the legends of rock and metal who have left us too soon, brings the curtain down. I usually don’t bother with expanded/bonus track editions of albums, but I decided to give it a shot with this one and was well-rewarded. The three bonus tracks are all terrific; “Fight of Your Life” belongs on the standard version of the album as much as any other track, while “Vicious Circle” is a great song, and the last song, “The Lodger”, happens to be one of my favourites of the whole LP, reminding me a lot of the Alfred Hitchcock film of the same name.

Invincible Shield, ladies and gents, is a nearly flawless old school metal record from top to bottom. It’s an album about empowerment, about persevering through the hardships of life and celebrating the pure love of heavy metal. It’s no filler, all killer here, no skipping, just enjoying every tune where every song features one or two cool guitar solos. I swear, Rob Halford is the human equivalent of a fine wine. I think I enjoy his vocal prowess even more now than I did twenty years ago. In terms of ranking this bad boy in the grand scheme of things, I’d say it’s easily one of Priest’s top five records. I’ve been playing it non-stop since yesterday morning. Invincible Shield is an easy candidate for my Top Five Albums of the Year thus far. If you’re a Judas Priest fan, an old school metalhead, or just enjoy listening to awesome metal music, Invincible Shield is a no-brainer—you need this LP in your collection!

Judas Priest’s Official Website: https://www.judaspriestinvincibleshield.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment