Thursday, September 8, 2022

Musings: Megadeth - The Sick, the Dying… and the Dead

I’m back and so is Megadeth! While this is a band that needs no introduction, they’ve had their share of ups and downs and have gone through numerous roster changes—Dave Mustaine, founder/singer/guitarist being the sole constant throughout the nearly forty years since the band’s inception. Their latest album, their 16th, is titled The Sick, the Dying… and the Dead and it landed last Friday, September 2nd. Was it worth the six-year wait since 2016’s Dystopia? I’m gonna say, “Hell yeah!”

I’ve had a bit of a roller coaster relationship with Megadeth over the years. Dave Mustaine can be a polarizing individual and although I give him the highest praise for keeping this band alive for so long after the tumultuous history they’ve/he’s had, their catalogue has dipped in quality in the last decade or so. For the record, like many ‘Deth fans, my favorite album of theirs is 1990’s Rust in Peace followed closely by 1992’s Countdown to Extinction. After Dave called it quits in 2002, I was ready to be done with Megadeth, but Mustaine singlehandedly resurrected the band in 2004 with The System Has Failed, an album that I adore and which went on to become my third fave of their extensive discography. It was followed by United Abominations in 2007, a solid but not exceptional album, then came Endgame in 2009 and Th1rt3en in 2011, two records that I really didn’t care for. Aside from a few songs on each LP, I didn’t find them fun, catchy or memorable. Then the crappy Super Collider came out in 2013 and I was done with Megadeth. I figured Mustaine’s well was finally dry, so when Dystopia came out in 2016, I didn’t even bother buying a copy, instead only listening to it twice on YouTube and I wasn’t impressed. I must say that as of late I’ve given it a second chance and have enjoyed it a lot more. In fact, if I’m honest, it’s probably the best album they’ve put out since Abominations in 2007, until this latest one, that is. My opinion hasn’t changed about all the other lukewarm records in between though.

This brings us to The Sick, the Dying… and the Dead. The six-year gap between the last record and this one renewed my interest in Megadeth a bit and upon hearing (and watching the video of) the first single, “We’ll Be Back”, and its follow-up, “Night Stalkers”, I was definitely looking forward to release day. Sadly, because of the scandal and all the stuff that went on behind the scenes (I’ll let you look it up), long-time bassist Dave Ellefson’s bass parts have been re-recorded for this release. The lineup as it stands at the moment features Dave Mustaine on vocals/rhythm/lead guitars, Kiko Loureiro on lead/rhythm guitars, Steve Di Giorgio on bass on the album/James LoMenzo on bass on tour, and Dirk Verbeuren on drums.

The record opens with the atmospheric title track, a decent song but not my favorite. The “Yeah, yeah” parts just feel lazy and beneath Mustaine’s usual lyrical talent. On the flipside, the “Die, die” parts are quite cool. “Life in Hell” follows and should’ve been the opener, in my humble opinion. This one rips and shows us that Mustaine’s vocals are still quite reliable. “Night Stalkers” is a superb thrash song, one of the highlights of the album. It features Ice-T but it’s more of a cameo as he only appears briefly. I would’ve loved to hear him more! The shredding guitars carry the song forward at a relentless pace. I predict “Dogs of Chernobyl” will become a classic in the years to come. A definite high point and a true Megadeth tune with killer guitar parts. “Sacrifice”, a song bout black magic which I didn’t think we’d get at this juncture in Mustaine’s born again life, is definitely in my top three favorites on the LP. “Junkie” is the song I like the least on here. While not a bad song per se, its lyrics sound rehashed and unoriginal. The subject matter’s been done to death and I could do without it. “Psychopathy” is the intro to the next track, “Killing Time”, a solid song about procrastination with a terrific guitar solo. It’s one of those deep cuts you enjoy a little more with each new spin. “Soldier On!” is an absolute blast, catchy as all hell, and a runner-up for my favorite track of the album. “Célebutante” with its old school Megadeth vibe is also super catchy and the kind of tune you sing along to. “Mission to Mars” is a divisive track; some love it, some hate it. I personally love it! Sure, it’s got cheesy lyrics, but it also has an awesome synth intro, major riffage, and stays in your head—“I wanna be an astronaut!” The first single, “We’ll Be Back”, closes off the album. I liked it from the get-go, but over repeat listens, I’ve come to really dig it and the chorus is an earworm. It’s also a great way to end the album, saying the band will be back. If you bought the album on iTunes like I did, then you get two kick-ass bonus cover songs. “Police Truck” is a cover of the Dead Kennedys’ song that surpasses the original in my opinion. Then we move on to former Van Halen frontman Sammy Hagar’s “This Planet’s on Fire (Burn in Hell)” from his solo career. Hagar also sings some verses on the song, but it wouldn’t have changed much had he not been featured. And there you have it, fourteen songs clocking in at an hour and three minutes. Not too shabby!

I haven’t enjoyed a Megadeth record this much since The System Has Failed and I definitely believe this is Mustaine & crew’s best record since 2004. There, I’ve said it. Mustaine is still in rare form vocally and lyrically (and on guitar) in spite of all the health issues (and cancer) he’s suffered in recent years. It’s chock-full of great guitar solos, cool licks and riffs, a pounding rhythm section, and more than a handful of these songs channel vintage ‘Deth, proving that Megadeth is still highly relevant in 2022. I’ve listened to the album about eight times so far and it keeps getting better with each new spin, a tell-tale sign of a good record. The only nitpick I have is with iTunes’ version of the album; the mix sounds a little flat at times and lacks in dynamic range. I’m not sure if it sounds that way on vinyl or on CD though. This one will wind up on my year-end list, mark my words. If you love speed/thrash or traditional heavy metal, even if you haven’t listened to Megadeth in a while, I recommend taking The Sick, the Dying… and the Dead for a couple of spins.

Megadeth’s Official Store: https://megadeth.lnk.to/sickdyingdead 

No comments:

Post a Comment