Tuesday, December 19, 2023

Audiobook Showcase: Aliens - Bishop

The Alien franchise has been one I’ve loved ever since I was a teenager. Ridley Scott’s original 1979 film remains my favourite and is firmly planted in my personal top ten best sci-fi films of all-time. In an alternate universe where David Fincher would’ve had his way with Alien³ (1992), it would most likely be my second fave, followed by James Cameron’s Aliens (1986). The third film left a big impression on me as it was the first Alien movie I experienced in theatres during its opening weekend. The Assembly Cut improves the film, adding an extra 30 minutes, but it’s still not the movie Fincher had envisioned. I’m not a big fan of military sci-fi, so in spite of it being a fun and wild ride, Aliens is the chapter of the saga I’ve seen the least in the original film trilogy. I didn’t care for Alien: Resurrection (1997) or Alien: Covenant (2017), but I enjoyed Prometheus (2012) quite a bit.

When it comes to Alien comics and books, I’ve read plenty of them, going back to the Dark Horse comics and Bantam books of the ‘90s and the more recent wave of Alien novels of the last decade or so. Of those recent books, the ones I’ve enjoyed the most are Alien: Out of the Shadows (Tim Lebbon), Alien: Sea of Sorrows (James A. Moore), Alien: River of Pain (Christopher Golden), Alien: The Cold Forge (Alex White), and Aliens: Infiltrator (Weston Ochse). I have to say that in the course of the past two years, though, I’ve lost faith in the book franchise after a series of disappointing novels (to me anyway) like Alien: Into Charybdis, Alien: Colony War, Alien: Inferno's Fall, and Aliens: Vasquez. Just as I was about to give up on the Aliens prose books, Aliens: Bishop was announced for early December from a sci-fi writer by the name of T. R. Napper who’d garnered a lot of praise for his debut novel and short story collection. That got my hopes up and I was really excited to listen/read what this new book had to offer. The audiobook is read by various narrators and has a runtime of ten hours and fifty-five minutes. Here is the official synopsis:

A direct sequel to Aliens and Alien 3—Weyland-Yutani, the Colonial Marines, and Bishop’s creator all pursue the android for the deadly Xenomorph data contained in his brain. Written by T. R. Napper, author of the acclaimed 36 Streets, whose explosive work explores the artificial intelligence and what it is to be human.

Massively damaged in Aliens and Alien 3, the synthetic Bishop asked to be shut down forever. His creator, Michael Bishop, has other plans. He seeks the Xenomorph knowledge stored in the android’s mind and brings Bishop back to life—but for what reason? No longer an employee of the Weyland-Yutani Corporation, Michael tells his creation that he seeks to advance medical research for the benefit of humanity. Yet where does he get the resources needed to advance his work. With whom do his new allegiances lie?

Bishop is pursued by Colonial Marines Captain Marcel Apone, commander of the Il Conde and younger brother of Master Sergeant Alexander Apone, one of the casualties of the doomed mission to LV-426. Also on his trail are the “Dog Catchers,” commandos employed by Weyland-Yutani.

Who else might benefit from Bishop’s intimate knowledge of the deadliest creatures in the galaxy?

Napper is a damn fine writer and his knowledge and passion for the franchise comes through clearly in his writing. My biggest gripe is that we didn’t get enough of Bishop. He’s supposed to be the central character of the book, isn’t he? What we got instead were the usual protagonists, the Colonial Marines, which I think has been overdone in Aliens books as of late. It also could’ve used more “black demons” as well—it is after all an Aliens novel! The first half of the book dragged a bit in places, but once it got going, it was captivating enough to keep me listening until the end. It was fun to see Michael Bishop, the creator, once more as we’d gotten a peek of him at the end of the third film and I always thought it would make for a great story to get inside his head for a bit. Here we do get to see how the man behind the machines thinks and what his objectives are in the grand scheme of things. Is he good or evil? How does Bishop, the synthetic, interact with his maker? It was interesting to witness their relationship on the page.

One of the pluses of getting the audiobook version as opposed to the print/eBook is the fact that it’s narrated by numerous narrators including Alex Boyles, Eunice Wong, Shiromi Arserio, Nancy Wu, Pun Bandhu, and Tim Campbell. Since the story unfolds mostly from different character viewpoints each getting turns at their own chapters, it keeps the narrative flowing at a good pace. For the most part, the narrators do a stellar job of portraying the characters.

In the end, Aliens: Bishop was a mixed bag for me. Although, I think Alien fans who enjoy Colonial Marines tales will most likely get a big kick out of this book. Being a fiction writer myself, I would’ve gone a completely different direction had I been tasked with writing a Bishop novel. For starters, there wouldn’t have been a single Marine to be seen, but that’s neither here nor there. The audiobook elevates the experience, in my opinion, and makes Aliens: Bishop a more compelling read/listen. If you’re an Aliens fan or simply a sci-fi fan, I think you’ll find something to like in T. R. Napper’s take on the Alien franchise.  

Rating: Three stars out of five

Get your copy on Audible 

No comments:

Post a Comment