Monday, April 17, 2023

Audiobook Showcase: Star Trek: Strange New Worlds - The High Country

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds had a phenomenal first season on Paramount+ and was renewed for a second season which will start airing in June. It’s no surprise that Pocket Books and Simon & Schuster Audio set out to publish a series of novels set in this crew’s universe. As a huge fan of Star Trek and this series in particular, this was a highly anticipated release for me. Star Trek: SNW – The High Country is the first novel chronicling the adventures of Captain Christopher Pike, Science Officer Spock, and First Officer Una Chin-Riley. Written by John Jackson Miller, the audiobook is narrated by Robert Petkoff and was published on February 21st, 2023.

Here’s the book’s official synopsis: “An all-new Star Trek adventure―the first novel based on the thrilling Paramount+ TV series Star Trek: Strange New Worlds!

When an experimental shuttlecraft fails, Captain Christopher Pike suspects a mechanical malfunction―only to discover the very principles on which Starfleet bases its technology have simply stopped functioning. He and his crewmates are forced to abandon ship in a dangerous maneuver that scatters their party across the strangest new world they’ve ever encountered.

First Officer Una finds herself fighting to survive an untamed wilderness where dangers lurk at every turn. Young cadet Nyota Uhura struggles in a volcanic wasteland where things are not as they seem. Science Officer Spock is missing altogether. And Pike gets the chance to fulfill a childhood dream: to live the life of a cowboy in a world where the tools of the 23rd century are of no use.

Yet even in the saddle, Pike is still very much a starship captain, with all the responsibilities that entails. Setting out to find his crewmates, he encounters a surprising face from his past―and discovers that one people’s utopia might be someone else’s purgatory. He must lead an exodus―or risk a calamity of galactic proportions that even the Starship Enterprise is powerless to stop....” 

As most Star Trek fans know, Captain Christopher Pike isn’t a new character in the Star Trek universe. He was the very first Captain to be featured on The Original Series for its pilot episode, “The Cage”, all the way back in 1965 before Captain James T. Kirk ever took the helm of the Enterprise for his own pilot episode, “Where No Man Has Gone Before.” “The Cage” and its counterpart, the two-part “The Menagerie”, remains one of my favourite Star Trek episodes of any series. In 2006, one of Star Trek’s best and most beloved authors, Margaret Wander Bonanno, wrote a fantastic novel focusing entirely on Captain Pike titled Burning Dreams. Unfortunately, it’s not available on audiobook but I highly encourage you to seek it out in print: it’s one of the best Trek books I’ve ever read. Fast forward to 2019 when Captain Pike and his crew appeared for a good number of episodes on TV’s Star Trek: Discovery setting things up for the eventual Strange New Worlds series. John Jackson Miller was tapped to pen a Discovery novel/audiobook titled The Enterprise War with a focus on Pike and company. While I’m not a fan of the Discovery series, I picked it up on audiobook as I was curious to see what he’d bring to the table. It was an average story with good ideas that was too often slow-moving and not particularly memorable. Still, I had my hopes up for this first SNW novel, also penned by Jackson Miller.

Which brings me to my thoughts on The High Country. I was so disappointed by this book! It was a veritable chore to get through it and finish it. With a running time of 16 hours and some change, it feels at least six hours too long. The pacing is slow as molasses and the plot is drawn out to the point of becoming completely uninteresting. It doesn’t help that it feels more like you’re reading/listening to a western rather than a sci-fi novel for the majority of its runtime. The thing that irked me the most is the fact that Miller had the not-so-great idea of splitting up the away team from the get-go. So, we have Pike, Una, and Uhura all on their own for more than half of the novel. And Spock, well, he’s missing in action for close to two thirds of the book, only to resurface and play a mild supporting role. What a missed opportunity, especially for a first book in the series, to have a grand scale plot worthy of a movie with the crew acting as a cohesive team. Instead we get what feels like the plot of an episode stretched out into what would have probably been a two-parter on TV.

The story takes place on Etheska (?), a planet where technology doesn't work, and timeline-wise fits about halfway through Season 1 of the show. I also read somewhere that this book is a follow-up of sorts to the Star Trek: Enterprise series episode “North Star” focusing on the Skagarans, a humanoid race. I was never a fan of Enterprise and have only seen a handful of episodes of that show, so I had no prior knowledge of what transpired in that episode. Maybe I would’ve enjoyed the book more had I seen that episode and understood some of its references? Anyhow, all this to say that this book failed to deliver an exciting adventure for SNW’s first literary outing. Don’t get me wrong, Jackson Miller is a good writer, I’ll give him that, he’s just not my cup of tea, I guess. I’ve read his Star Wars: Kenobi novel from 2013 and experienced a similar disappointment, with issues of pacing and stretching out a thin plot worthy of a novella into a whole novel when the occasion to explore years of Kenobi’s life between Episode III and IV was another missed opportunity, in my humble opinion. And we had the John Ford-western style setting again for that book. Miller seems to love injecting western tropes into sci-fi. But I digress. I truly hope the folks at Pocket Books/Simon & Schuster give the task to a different writer for the next SNW book because I am done reading John Jackson Miller: three strikes, you’re out! What saved this audiobook was the always reliable Robert Petkoff handling narration duties. He’s proven over the years to be the voice of Star Trek in literature. His portrayal of the various characters is flawless. I can confidently say that if I’d been reading a print version of this book, I would’ve stopped halfway through (or maybe sooner), but Petkoff kept me going.

In the end, sadly I can’t recommend Star Trek: Strange New Worlds – The High Country as it simply didn’t deliver the goods on too many levels. Although, judging by a quick glance on Amazon, I seem to be in the minority as the book appears to have a plethora of four- and five-star reviews. Mileage may vary. Coming on the heels of the excellent Star Trek: Harm’s Way from late last year by David Mack, I still have faith in the Star Trek novel franchise. I’ve lost all faith in the Star Wars books though, as my experience with them has been awful these past five years. Star Trek still seems to hit it out of the park more often than not, so I’m still hopeful we’ll get a home run for the next Star Trek: Strange New Worlds novel/audiobook.

Rating: Two stars out of five

Get your copy on Audible

No comments:

Post a Comment