Monday, October 3, 2022

Whatever Happened To… Spacegoat

This is the first entry of what will be a new column on the blog about bands that seem to either vanish off the face of the earth or that we haven’t heard from in a long time. For this first article, I’ll be focusing on a psychedelic/occult/doom band that I adore from Mexico: Spacegoat. Two weeks ago, they were one of the bands featured on Weedian’s Trip to Mexico compilation and it reminded me that I hadn’t heard anything new from them in years. I first found out about them in late 2016. One spin of their 2016 Superstition album and I was hooked. I immediately picked up their 2012 self-titled EP and it was equally excellent. But where are they now?

Their last post on their Facebook page is from August 2020 and in Spanish (which I don’t speak) but it’s with regards to the release of Superstition on vinyl via Electric Magic Records. On their YouTube channel, there hasn’t been an update since the fall of 2018, but what a cool update it was: a 31-minute live performance showcasing just awesome this band is! On the popular and reliable The Metal Archives site, they are still listed as “active.” I really hope they are. It’s been six years since their Superstition LP and I’d love to hear a new album from this fantastic band. I’m not on Facebook so I can’t message them but I am hoping they’ll be back in the near future to bring us their unique flavor of occult rock/doom. In any case, I highly encourage you all to give them a spin, it’ll be well worth your while, I promise!

Spacegoat on Bandcamp: https://spacegoatmx.bandcamp.com/

Spacegoat on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spacegoatmx

Spacegoat on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/spacegoatband 

No comments:

Post a Comment