Saturday, January 15, 2022

Review: Dominance and Submission - A Tribute to Blue Oyster Cult

Like many of you, I discovered Blue Oyster Cult through FM radio and their big hits “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper” and “Godzilla” as a kid back in the early ‘80s. It wasn’t until I heard “Veteran of the Psychic Wars” off of the 1981 Heavy Metal movie soundtrack that I became a fan though. That song made me get what was to be my favorite BOC album, Fire of Unknown Origin. I played that tape a lot and now own it in digital format. When it was first announced that a BOC tribute album was in the works and that the mighty Ripple Music would be releasing it, I was stoked.

Dominance and Submission was a project initiated by former Poison Idea drummer Steve Hanford aka Thee Slayer Hippy joining forces with guitarist Ian Watts of Ape Machine. Sadly, Hanford died of a heart attack in May of 2020 and didn’t live to see the finished compilation. Proceeds from the album sales will go to Hanford's widowed partner, Kitty Diggins.

I won’t do a track by track comparison of each song with its original counterpart (I’m not familiar with all the songs anyway), instead I’ll give my thoughts on the songs that are included in this collection. It’s a selection of hits and deeper cuts, which is always appreciated. Mondo Machine do a bang-up job covering “ME 262”, a track from BOC’s most popular record, Secret Treaties. The compilation’s title track, “Dominance and Submission”, also from Secret Treaties, gets an all-star lineup to cover it featuring Steve Hanford, Nick Oliveri, Mark Lanegan, and Sam Coomes who keep its groovy rock n’ roll origins while injecting new vigor into it. “Flaming Telepaths” gets a new coat of varnish from Great Electric Quest. Howling Giant are joined by Bob Balch for an even more ominous rendering of “Godzilla.”

Tony Reed of Mos Generator fame is joined by Steve Hanford himself for a superb rendition of “Transmaniacon MC.” “Wings Wetted Down” gets a female vocalist makeover in one of my favorites of the record via Andrea Vidal joining the band IT for the occasion. “Tattoo Vampire” is a lot of fun redone by Mos Generator with Steve Hanford aka Thee Slayer Hippy, once again. Ape Machine does a fantastic interpretation of my fave BOC song, “Veteran of the Psychic Wars”, breathing new life and sounding just as fresh as it did 40 years ago. Could very well be my favorite track on this comp! ZEKE inject raw energy into the perennial classic “Cities on Flame with Rock and Roll.”

“Stairway to the Stars” is another track that gets a female vocalist to give it a unique sound as Janiece Gonzalez guest-stars with fan favorites War Cloud. Year of the Cobra, a duo I adore, covers “Fireworks”, a song I wasn’t familiar with, but this version is gorgeous with a palette of musical nuances. I must admit, I didn’t care for “7 Screaming Diz-Busters” upon my initial spin, a BOC song I’d never heard before, done by Fetish, a band I also had never heard of, but it has grown on me on subsequent listens. We close things off with BOC’s most famous song, “(Don’t Fear) The Reaper”, which gets a complete remodeling from Spindrift, infusing it with an alternative edge and fully making it their own.

Dominance and Submission is a stellar tribute album in every aspect. From the selection of songs covered, to the variety of bands covering them in an assortment of musical genres. It’s clear that Blue Oyster Cult’s influence continues to inspire bands to this day in the many realms of rock n’ roll. I don’t think I’ve enjoyed a covers album this much from top to bottom since 1994’s Nativity in Black: A Tribute to Black Sabbath. More often than not, tribute albums are so-so with only a handful of songs that make it worth spending your hard-earned cash on. Not so with this compilation of 13 BOC classics. I do wish someone would have covered “Astronomy” though, one of my all-time favorite songs from BOC. All kidding aside, this outstanding collaboration gets my highest possible recommendation.

Ripple Music’s Dominance and Submission Bandcamp page: https://ripplemusic.bandcamp.com/album/d-minance-and-submissi-n-a-tribute-to-blue-yster-cult

No comments:

Post a Comment