Monday, November 8, 2021

A Conversation with Z-Cocoon

It’s time for another chat with a band. This time it’s with great pleasure that we strike up a conversation with Montreal-based solo artist Z-Cocoon, masterminded by multi-instrumentalist Marc Zolla. Being Canadian, more specifically a Montreal-based music blog, the Harbinger of D.O.O.M. loves to shine the spotlight on Canuck bands and when it happens to be homegrown talent, it’s even more of a treat.

Harbinger of D.O.O.M.: Congrats on the release of your excellent Dark EP earlier this year and the new single “X-Ray Eyes”. Is this the first single off a new upcoming album or a stand-alone track? What can we expect in the near future from Z-Cocoon?

Z-Cocoon: Hey Alan, Thank you!

I cannot mention if the new single is off an album or stand-alone track but let’s just say it’s a stand-alone track for now and there will be more. A lot more music is coming and a lot more recording. I have my recording setup in the basement right now with all my mics and gear. I can pretty much record when I want and send it to get it mixed and mastered. My live drummer Brandon Benwell will be joining with me in studio for some new tracks coming up. Stay tuned for that!

Harbinger of D.O.O.M.: You started off as Pink Cocoon to later be renamed as Z-Cocoon. What motivated the name change and is there a story behind the “cocoon” moniker?

Z-Cocoon: I got tired of the name Pink Cocoon and wanted something more catchy, shorter and closer to rapper/blues artist/solo artist name (I’m not a rapper, but I take influence from the solo aspect from rappers).  Examples: T-Rex, T-Bone Walker, BB King, ZZ Top, J. Cole, ASAP Rocky, G-Eazy, MF Doom, Eazy-E…

Z-Cocoon sounds better. Z stands for my last name Zolla. Cocoon is something that constantly evolves and changes over time. It is also caterpillar that metamorphs into a butterfly ha, ha. I always like the word cocoon. There used to be a pink colour vibe before to the past marketing/ social media and it’s a colour you don’t see often in hard rock/ heavy metal. Although that name is a thing of the past, Z-Cocoon is here to stay. The new music doesn’t really sound like the past recordings. My vocals are higher and more crisp. Z-Cocoon matches what I’m going for now.

Harbinger of D.O.O.M.: You recently took part in a series of outdoor performances at a skatepark in Montreal. What was the experience like? What material did you play/cover that wasn’t original compositions?

Z-Cocoon: Yes, we did! We played under the bridge in Plateau area near Van Horne Skatepark. Show was great. We did two shows there back to back at the bridge spot and a third one at another spot in Verdun. Brandon Benwell on drums and John Burton on bass. Experience was great! There’s no rules when you’re playing outdoors. There’s no venue rental cost, no limit to how loud you can be, play as long as you want, BYOB and you don’t have to play in front of plexiglass like most bars now ha, ha. Although, it’s getting too cold outside for outdoor shows right now.

We covered “Purple Haze” by Hendrix, “Snowblind” by Black Sabbath, “Pride and Joy” by Stevie Ray Vaughan, “Forever my Queen” by Pentagram. Rest of the set was all originals.

Harbinger of D.O.O.M.: You’re a multi-instrumentalist and you’ve crafted a very unique sound for yourself; reminiscent of ‘90s alternative music with a Jimi Hendrix/Stevie Ray Vaughan edge with a modern twist. What are your primary influences and when did you develop an affinity for playing more than one instrument?

Z-Cocoon: My influences are always changing but the main influences that always stay are: Stevie Ray Vaughan, Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, Frank Marino, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Winter, Rory Gallagher, Blue Cheer, The Beatles, Nirvana, Electric Wizard, Alice in Chains and a lot of rap/pop like Mobb Deep, Nas, Logic, G-Eazy, The Neighbourhood, Lana Del Rey, Kendrick Lamar, J. Cole. I like the vocal production and rhythm section sound of pop/rap music, except I don’t use autotune or programmed beats.

Newer rock influences would be Royal Blood, Reignwolf, Tyler Bryant and The Shakedown, Philip Sayce, Lance Lopez and more! Too many artists to mention.

Thank you for recognizing the unique sound. I’m trying ha, ha.

My first instrument was guitar since elementary school. Then I switched to drums and drums was main instrument. I played drums in a band called Mooch and got back into playing guitar while I was playing drums live to the point where I wanted to start my own project. I played bass a lot for myself and was very influenced by Cliff Burton/Death from Above 1979. I had the idea to perform everything solo in the studio back in 2016 Alienation EP – Pink Cocoon.

Slightly influenced by Prince, Dave Grohl, Mac De Marco, Tame Impala. Their music genre isn’t a direct influence but the idea of doing it solo was “if they can do it, I can do it. End of story”. You have to know you’re able to do it TIGHT before doing it all solo. It’s very different from recording live with a band in studio.

Harbinger of D.O.O.M.: One last question and I’ll let you get back to doing your thing. “X-Ray Eyes” was the first song that you fully recorded in your home studio; will this be your new home base in terms of recording future songs/albums? Do you have any plans to lease out your studio to other local bands and possibly assist them in recording music?

Z-Cocoon: Yes, “X-Ray Eyes” was indeed the first song I fully recorded in my home studio and then sent out for a mix and master.

Exactly as you said. This will be my home base for future recordings. All the gear is professional quality gear. It’s possibly the greatest thing for any artist to have your own studio. I can get creative and try anything without a time limit.

Yes, I can record other bands and artists although I’m not exactly advertising my studio. My drummer Brandon Benwell will be recording some drums with me in the studio on some new recordings. I still work my regular job as a carpenter, so I don’t need my studio to record other bands as an income, although I won’t refuse recording other artists.

Maybe it’ll be a fulltime recording studio one day, who knows?

Harbinger of D.O.O.M.: Thank you for your time and for answering my questions. I’m excited to hear what the future has in store for Z-Cocoon!

Z-Cocoon: No probs! Thank you for the interview! To everyone that read this interview! Follow Harbinger of Doom and follow Z-Cocoon on all social media! Spread the word!

Follow Z-Cocoon:

Z-Cocoon on Bandcamp

Z-Cocoon on Facebook

Z-Cocoon on Twitter

Z-Cocoon on YouTube

Z-Cocoon on Instagram

No comments:

Post a Comment